Aphrodisia Authors

Monday, August 14, 2006

It's Not Just A Hobby Anymore ... Or Is It?

I was recently interviewed by the Detroit Free Press for an article on the rise of erotic romance. The article will be out this Sunday, August 20th. I will post an e-link to it when it comes out. However, sharing the article isn't the point of this post. Rather, what happened today when the staff photographer came out to take my picture.

First off, the guy was super friendly and I am by no means speaking negatively of him. He did say something though that bothered me. The comment was, "Your husband doesn't work either?"

The comment was made because my hubby was watching the kids while I was playing "pretend I like the camera"--man, do I hate that thing! I confirmed my hubby does work nights, but that wasn't what bothered me. It was the "either" part. I didn't say anything to him about this, because as noted he was a really nice guy and I don't think he really even thought much about what he said, but it's been bothering me ever since.

You see I work really hard at what I do. I forgo sleep many nights, sometimes completely, to meet deadlines. I always try to present a professional image, though I do enjoy playful chats, as well. I have given so much time, well over a decade, to hone my craft and style, help others to do the same, and finally realize the dream of being able to write full-time, aka, have a career as an author. And now it seems that some don't perceive what I do as a career.

So, this makes me wonder, what exactly does "working" entail? Do you have to put in an 8 to 5 or 9 to 5 shift to qualify? In which case, my hubby really doesn't "work" either. Is "work" a job that you hate to go to? Geez, I hope not! I would hate to think of an entire world of angry people who are that way simply because they have to "work".

What do you think? Do I work? Or am I just putting a whole lot of time and energy into a hobby that happens to pay the bills?

Posted by Jodi Lynn Copeland :: 4:38 PM :: 26 comments

Post a Comment

-------------------------------------