Aphrodisia Authors

Thursday, July 05, 2007

The Idea Parade





One of the most often asked questions of a writer is: "Where do you get your ideas?" If you write erotic romance this question is sometimes followed up with: "Do you interview people and use their experiences in your books?"


I can't imagine doing that. My response to that one is usually: "No, that would be journalism, wouldn't it?"


The truth for me is, the ideas come too fast to keep track of. I don't know where they come from, I'm just glad they show up!


Maybe I saw too many ghost movies when I was growing up. "The Ghost and Mrs. Muir" wasn't only a movie...it was a short-lived television show, too. And Disney produced some good, fun ghost movies, with kindly, helpful ghosts. I seem to recall a few set in castles with the ghosts having strong British or Scottish accents.
And who could forget the all time most popular ghost story? Every Christmas season we're hit with a varied selection of Scrooge movies. Those visitations may not have been fun, but they did serve to improve the old miser's life in the end.



Maybe all of these things combined to help me create the ghostly madame and working girls of Perdition House in my Midnight Confessions stories. In every interview I've done about this series, the question of where I got the idea for the haunted bordello has come up. I haven't yet answered that question satisfactorily. Instead I've recounted how it landed full blown in my head or where I was when it came to me.


But where it came from? Maybe I have a parade of ideas that pass by the screen in my mind and I pluck one or two out as they march by.


That's it! Yeah, an idea parade...works as well as any other explanation I suppose.

If you have time today, please click over to the blog at naughty-and-spice.com where I'm asking the question "What is sexy?"


Thanks for stopping by!


Bonnie Edwards

Posted by Bonnie Edwards :: 5:58 PM :: 5 comments

Post a Comment

-------------------------------------