Aphrodisia Authors

Wednesday, December 05, 2007

Thinking about the day job...

First of all, writing IS my day job, and I work seven days a week, a minimum of 6-10 hours a day. It's hard work, but I love it. There's a discussion on one of my lists--all of us are published--about why we stick it out as authors through good times and bad, dry periods where we can't sell a book to deadlines looming one after the other, often coming so close together we literally have no life beyond the imaginary one in our heads.

I've been chuckling over the answers that have come in from other authors: that if we didn't let the imaginary people out to play they'd probably drive us insane, that writing allows us to focus all our compulsive/obsessive/control freak traits on our books instead of our family members, that we'd be writing anyway, whether we're published or not...the list goes on and on, but I really laughed at the most often repeated answer of why authors love their jobs, (for those of us lucky enough not to have an outside day job) and the reason is, we never have to get dressed! We work every day in our jammies or sweatsuits without leaving the house. I had no idea how important that would be, but I have to admit, there's a lot of truth to it. Why leave? Our imaginations take us to such amazing places--new worlds we've created or even more exciting versions of the real one. For whatever reason, it's nice not to have to put on "grown-up" clothes every day and go into the day job--so now you know the real secret!

Another reason, and it's one that's right up there with flannel jammies, that really thrills me about this job is my books! They're in bookstores--I mean right there on the shelves next to some of my favorite authors! I still get a charge when I see them. Plus they have really gorgeous covers, and they're all mine...well, mine and my critique partners' and the copy editor and my agent and my regular editor and the print setter and the art department and... you get my drift.

I've got a book coming out in a couple of weeks and I'm as excited about the release of Wolf Tales V as I was about the first book in the series. It's got everything in it that makes me happy--sexy heroes, brave heroines, lots of sexual tension (and even more of the real thing) and it's all wrapped up with an exciting plot and a very special surprise at the end. I hope you'll take a look and let me know what you think. I promise to answer--I always do! And you'll know that I'm sitting here in my old rocker, laptop in my lap, warmly dressed for work in my flannel jammies and an old sweater of my husband's!

Just a note that if you have't joined my newsletter, please do. I'm running another contest this month with books for prizes. I'm at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/KateDouglas/

Happy Holidays to everyone!

Labels: , , , ,


Posted by Kate Douglas :: 3:12 PM :: 4 comments

Post a Comment

-------------------------------------