Aphrodisia Authors

Monday, December 17, 2007

Want an Alpha Guy for Christmas?

If Santa brought you the guy of your dreams, would he be an alpha male?

We romance writers and readers talk a lot about alpha heroes. What, exactly, are they?

I guess each of us has her own interpretation. To me, an alpha guy is one who’s strong and skilled, a natural leader – but in an understated way. He’s never arrogant, pushy or “macho.”

Do you know what “macho” means? Characterized by “machismo.” And the definition of machismo is “overly assertive or exaggerated masculinity, esp. as characterized by a show of virility, domination of women, etc.” Okay, I doubt any of us women have anything against virility, but the rest pretty much sucks, at least to me. A guy who tries to dominate anyone else, male or female, is demonstrating a lack of self-esteem. Definitely not heroic. I so don’t want to know that kind of man. Or read about him.

For me, the heroes I love in books are the same kind I love in real life. But I know that’s not true for all readers. Some people like to read about Superman but date Clark Kent.
So my question is, what kind of hero would you like in your Christmas stockings? And is that the same kind of man you love to read about?

Posted by Susan Lyons :: 10:34 AM :: 4 comments

Post a Comment

-------------------------------------