Aphrodisia Authors

Monday, January 21, 2008

Fork In The Road

Hmm. I'm trying to remember which day I mailed off my latest ms. for Aphrodisia. The deadline was Jan 15, and I think I made it with a whopping 3-4 days to spare. Hawk's Talons took me in fun directions, at least for me because I love paranormal. Although I drew on Native American spirituality in part because under another name I wrote seven NA historicals, with Hawk, I didn't have to stick to what's known about the belief system. Instead, I let my imagination take flight and didn't know until the end how powerful Hawk Spirit would turn out to be--or how lusty my characters.
As soon as Hawk went off, I tackled a couple of have-to projects, most notably a complete revamping of my web site. If you're so inclined, please take a gander at www.VonnaHarper.com to see what a pro (not me) can come up with. Now, hopefully, I can maintain the site. We'll see. Then I had a couple of editing jobs to do for two ebooks that'll come out later this year (not with Aphrodisia).
Even before I finished Hawk and certainly while clearing the decks, my mind started playing with something I haven't tried for a long time--thus the title of this blog. I love romantic suspense, absolutely love it! Suspense is my genre of choice when I'm reading for pleasure, and I'm in awe of writers who can keep the pacing going throughout all the twists and turns and excitement of a big suspense book. But that's not what I'm diving into starting today. Instead, I'm trying a less ambitious route by tackling a 55-60,000 word story, hopefully for Harlequin Intrigue. I've been reading a lot of Intrigues and am impressed with the sophistication and reality, the variety. Can my plot and characters match what's being published? I don't know but I'm stoked by the challenge.
And when I'm done with the proposal, I know I'll approach my next Aphrodisia title in my current contract renewed and rejuvinated. At least for me, change of pace keeps me fresh. I've asked this in other blogs but what about you, do you stick to reading one genre or do you read across the board? What about non-fiction?
Vonna
p.s. Speaking of non-fiction, my son gave me John Grisham's The Innocent Man. Two thumbs way up for this true tale of an innocent man condemened to death.
Vonna

Posted by Vonna Harper :: 10:26 AM :: 1 comments

Post a Comment

-------------------------------------