Aphrodisia Authors

Tuesday, February 19, 2008

What's worse?

I have this coffee mug that I picked up a few years ago at RWA National. It asks: "What is worse than writing a synopsis?" And you turn it around and it declares in big capital letters, "NOTHING!"

And that's where I am right now, working on a synopsis. More fun than you can shake a stick at. Not.

What's worse is that the way I write has changed. I used to be very strong on the beginning and the end, and the middle was a bit wishy-washy, but at some point I'd down writing utensils and figure out what would happen in the middle.

ONE MORE TIME didn't happen like that. I had a beginning, I had a cute premise and that was it. No idea how it was going to play out or end. I didn't have to write a synopsis for it, thankfully, but the latest WIP. Woah.

In the latest WIP, I got a scene -- possibly in the middle of the book, it might be earlier. At any rate, I needed to start earlier with the characters so I could figure out what they were like and how they interrelated. So now I'm wondering if my first three chapters will end up in the book. I think they will because it'll be too hard for the reader to find empathy otherwise.

(The prologue is already gone.)

However, for this WIP, that's all I had to start with: one scene, and a cracktastic idea derived from Exodus (the Bible version). I figured once I wrote the first three chapters, I'd know what happens next, right?

Well, I've managed 2.5 pages of a synopsis and I *still* don't know how this is going to end. Threesomes are so damn complicated and "what's the worst thing that could happen?" that I usually ask myself is bringing back answers that take this book out of the romance genre and into that "romance" genre where nothing ends happily, and I couldn't stand that.

So I am stuck, and as it is my turn to blog today, y'all get to hear about it.

Labels:


Posted by Celia May Hart :: 11:14 AM :: 6 comments

Post a Comment

-------------------------------------